The breast augmentation surgeons know that for many women, self-esteem is closely tied to their feelings about the size and shape of their breasts.
If a woman feels her breasts are too small or unshapely, this can have a strong, negative impact on how she feels about herself overall and a breast augmentation may be the best solution. Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure to enhance the shape and size of the bust by means of an implant, gently inserted within the breast. Breast augmentation results in a full, naturally rounded looking breast shape.
Types of Implants
Saline breast implants are filled with sterile salt water. Should the implant shell leak, a saline implant will collapse and the saline will be absorbed and naturally expelled by the body.
- Saline breast implants provide a uniform shape, firmness and feel, and are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older.
Silicone breast implants are filled with silicone gel. The gel feels a bit more like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell, or may escape into the breast implant pocket. A leaking implant filled with silicone gel will not collapse.
- If you choose silicone implants, you may need to visit your plastic surgeon regularly to make sure the implants are functioning properly. An ultrasound or MRI screening can assess the condition of breast implants.
- Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older.
Gummy bear breast implants are shaped rather than round. They have more projection at the bottom and are tapered towards the top. If a shaped implant rotates, it may lead to an unusual appearance of the breast.
- Placement of gummy bear implants requires a longer incision in the skin.
Round breast implants have a tendency to make breasts appear fuller than form-stable implants. Higher profile options can achieve even more projection.
- Because round implants are the same shape all over, there is less concern about them rotating out of place.
Smooth breast implants are the softest feeling. These implants can move with the breast implant pocket, which may give more natural movement.
- Smooth implants may have some palpable or visible rippling.
Textured breast implants develop scar tissue to stick to the implant, making them less likely to move around inside the breast and get repositioned.
- Texturing offers some advantage in diminishing the risk of a tight scar capsule.
Implant manufacturers occasionally introduce new styles and types of breast implants, so there may be additional options available.
Whether you choose saline or silicone implants, it is important for you to monitor your breast implants and follow-up with your plastic surgeon for appropriate checkups.
The Benefits of Breast Augmentation
If you feel that your breasts lack the size and shape you desire, breast augmentation may be for you. Whether you were born with it, or recently lost a significant amount of weight, small breasts can take a toll on a woman’s self-confidence. Breast augmentation can help you to boost your self-confidence. In fact, there are several benefits for women who have the breast augmentation experience, such as:
- The ability to wear more clothes. Women who have small breasts are limited to clothing that flatters their small chest. With breast augmentation, you can wear the shirts, dresses, and bikinis you always wished you could pull off!
- Enhanced curves. A nice figure is all about complementary contours. By getting breast augmentation, you can enhance your other curves as well. This can help to achieve a balanced appearance.
- Anti-aging effects. With age, breasts tend to droop or sag. Breast augmentation can help to restore your youthfulness by making the breasts perkier.
- Breast symmetry. It’s common for women to have unsymmetrical breasts. Breast augmentation can help to even out the size and symmetry of the breasts.
- Improved intimacy. Women who have breast augmentation experience better intimacy. They feel more confident in their bodies, and in turn are more open to intimacy.
Types of Incisions
- Inframammary Incision
- Transaxillary Incision
- Periareolar Incision
Inserting and Placing the Implant
The surgeon continues to perform the breast augmentation procedure by placing the implant either beneath the breast gland or, more commonly, under the pectoralis muscle, and then closes the incision.
Closing the Incisions
Incisions are closed with layered sutures in the breast tissue and with sutures, skin adhesive or surgical tape to close the skin. Over time the incision lines will fade.
*We offer both saline and silicone implants for breast augmentation, including the most advanced “form-stable” silicone implants.
What to Expect in Recovery
Breast pain in the first several days after surgery may be relieved with medication. Swelling and bruising for several weeks after the surgery is normal, but wearing the surgical bra 24 hours a day will assist to reduce the swelling during the healing process.
Following two to three weeks (depending on the procedure and the individual patient), you can resume your normal activities. Strenuous exercise or heavy lifting, however, should be avoided for three to four weeks or more. In the meantime, seek out the optimal sports bra for your activity and breast size.
Dr. Douglas Steinbrech is an experienced plastic surgeon in NYC that is certified by the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. He takes pride in offering the “Mommy Makeover” to New York City mothers to help them restore their post-baby body.
Contact Dr. Steinbrech today at (212) 750-7100 to schedule a consultation.